Friday, November 9, 2007

Popovers

I went to The Popover Cafe in NYC and fell in love with popovers. I googled a recipe just to try it and surprisingly they turned out just like the restaurant ones.

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix eggs and milk and warm the mixture in the microwave (popovers will rise better if ingredients are warm). Add sifted flour and salt; continue beating until batter is smooth and thick. Bake in hot greased iron muffin cups or greased glass custard cups which are very hot. Do not grease with nonstick spray. Use real butter.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake 15 minutes longer. Serve right away. Make a small slit in each popover to allow steam to escape. Makes about 6 to 8 large popovers.

They're delicious plain but also really good with butter, honey or jam.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I love any recipe with only 4 ingredients! I'm definitely gonna try this one!

Brooke said...

I love any recipe with only 4 ingredients! I'm definitely gonna try this one!